Saturday, August 18, 2007

Day 3 -- Day in London (1) (photos)

18 AUGUST | London: St. Mary Abbot Church of Kensington Gardens


PHOTOS!

These are photos of the church park (sorry, I've forgotten the name); let me see if I can 'Google' it. *wanders off*

Okay! So it's the St. Mary Abbot's church of Kensington, thus on Kensington Street (the High Street Kensington tube stop), and the gardens are partially memorial gardens (link). The first time I visited London was in March of 2002, with two friends, and we stayed in a hostel in Notting Hill for part of the week. The Notting Hill tube stop is just a couple stops away from Kensington Street, so I think we were exploring that day or something and stumbled across the gardens. They're in between the buildings, so you're secluded and yet out in the open, with breezy trees above and plenty of air around. You can't see the streets though, or the people shopping. Luckily, for that would seriously hinder relaxing.






Photo 1: Flower Bed
-- This was the bed of various flowers directly in front of where I was sitting. There is a walkway (sort of like a 'thru' sidewalk for pedestrians coming from the main street on the adjacent sides of the buildings/gardens) in the middle of the picture, walking away from me (people are there), and I had come from the walkway in the right of the picture leading to the High Street. The presence of fences possibly keeps the 'garden' area safe from people trekking all over it. And the 'memorial' aspect to it would definitely suggest enclosure. People were mainly just walking through to get to the other street(s) for the time whilst I was sitting there.


Photo 2: Columns and Walkway
-- This is the 'walkway' I came from and in through to get to the bench I'm sitting at. It's a slight incline while just under the columns and cross-beams but then levels out.

Photo 3: Purple and White Flowers
-- These were just behind me, in a large flower bed. The mixture of two different kinds of flowers works well here, I think. The tall, skinny purple ones with shorter, rounder white. Reminds me of a well-decorated, beautiful home for some reason. ;)







Photo 4: Breakfast!
-- I love this photo! Not only for the fact that's it's a 'breakfast' picture (sidenote. check out a 'breakfast'-themed blog called "Simply Breakfast" (here) for amazing food pictures!), but also because the deep, rich colour of the bench accentuates the white of the lid and the tan of the bag so well! Breakfast was a raisin cinnamon roll(?), the equivalent of a raisin cinnamon roll/danish combo, with a latte from Caffé Vergnano. So yummy! :)

Photo 5: Close-up of Flowers
-- Here's a close-up of the first flower bed. The picture is a little blurry, but you can see the intensity of color as well as the variety of colours. France, anyone?

Photo 6: Pigeons
-- These are my breakfast companions. *grins* They were very polite. Not too much graveling, not too much squawking. :D I fed them the bits of danish I didn't want. And the very crumbly bits.

Photo 7: Pigeon #1
-- The BRAVE pigeon who ventured the closest! Eeeee!


Photo 8: The Stone Path
-- Isn't this picture gorgeous! The colouring of the stone is just beautiful. It reminds me of many of the ancient burial sites I visited while in the UK back in 2003, as well as in Scotland that same trip. Very old stone, weathered. Gives it a very attractive green-grey glow. It also reminds me of The Lord of the Rings a LOT, for some, unknown-to-me reason. Perhaps the stone? :D




Photo 9: Memorial Gardens
-- This first picture of the small, circularly enclosed garden area across the walkway from where I was includes the gates out of 'my' garden area because the iron is lovely! The bright green contrasts well with the darkness of the fence.

Photo 10: Gardens, Close-up
-- Here, you can see the circular aspect of the garden itself with the central pedestal surrounded on the bottom with bricks, in a circle, and to either side are stone benches and hanging plants/vines/trees that make this garden in particular, very special.

Photo 11: Gate Top
-- Another shot of the gateway, this time with only the top showing. I like how bushy the green of the trees/plants are in the bottom half of the picture counteracted with the solid black in the top half of the picture.


TOMORROW: Photos of Bath (just a few; will have to find my 'old' ones for some real fun :D) !!!

No comments: