Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Day 6 -- Day in London (3) (evening)

21 AUGUST | London: V&A Museum, Out-and-About


Well... today has been an interesting day. I'm on Nicole's laptop, downstairs, while she finishes things upstairs and the couple whose house this is are asleep. Here's a more detailed account of my day. :)

Left the house we're staying at around 2.00pm (didn't wake up until 11.00am--wonderful!); got coffee at Caffe Vergnano (again), and I think the barista was a little annoyed that I wanted take-away, but hey!, it's the whole day, I'm not going to not take my yummy coffee with me. :) Need to buy a can of beans for Stephen. Will go again on... *thinks*, Friday, when Nicole and I get back to London (for the day only, then off to Oxford on Saturday, then back to London for Sunday and the half of Monday that we're here). So yes. I know there was something coherent I wanted to say about the day.

*ponders*


Well, after that was a quick stop at the Internet Cafe (where I've made friends with the guy who works there, only because I smile and am nice and he's nice (but not my type), and sort of remembered me, maybe, from two days ago? either way, I was interested in buying stamps (even though they didn't have any at the time, so I think we bonded :D), near Gloucester Road stop (sw London) and I'd just gotten coffee at Leicester Square stop (central to ne London--and when I say "London", I mean "downtown/touristy/central London"), so it was a trek across town, but worth it because (1) I knew the internet cafe was clean/safe/friendly/good and (2) I knew where it was. :) Always helps! Then over a stop to South Kensington (where the V&A is near), to pop in to the V&A museum. And WHOA. So much stuff, I forgot how much stuff they have. I completely forgot it's separated by continent firstly and time period secondly. The current exhibit (or maybe it's the current "costume" exhibit, because it seems like that room always just has clothes) was New York Fashion, which was inside the main costume collection (okay, that's what it was, I remember now). And dude, did I take pictures! (I took pictures. *nods*) The only drawback is that most of them aren't with flash (flash ruins in my opinion), so Mum might not like it so much. But they're so much more artistic this way! :D Lovely, lovely collection. Popped out to the central garden (named after someone) with bamboo-pole-tent sculptures out on the green--got many pics of those too. Realized that they have a whole 'nuther museum for modern art just after I'd asked an attendant where the modern art was (the Tate Modern museum is superb for modern art), but he smiled and pointed me towards where the 'modern' era section was (third floor, right off the lift), so that was very interesting. Lots of furniture. ;) Wandered through the gift shop but it was closing right to when I would've figured out what I wanted to get people so I'll have to go back on Friday or Sunday. Sunday I'm doing a HARRY POTTER WALKING TOUR!!! (Do I sound excited!) So yeah, I'll have to fit all this stuff in. Want to go to the Transportation Museum of London (north somewhere?), and buy pretty print posters -- sort of like the Train Museum in York, when I came to the UK last time, three yrs ago.

Well, it's been good so far. Mostly just walking and looking. I feel too touristy taking pictures with people about, but I might have to for-go the angst and do it on Sunday as that'll be the last real day to do it right. Monday will be too travel-y to be able to worry about ... taking pictures of 'touristy' things. Pretty architecture, funny signs, people walking, that sort of thing.

OOOO! Guess what I saw today while about to cross the street to the internet cafe?? Guess! I'll give you a hint, it was a special car... and it was a Volvo... and it's not in the states... it was a C30!! Didn't even know they had them here for real, I thought they were concept cars all over. It was awesome! I totally thought it was an S60 and then WHOA! it had no end! :D Just a hatch-back thing, with super-sleek modern lines. SOOOOO PRETTY! :D I wish I'd taken a picture. Goodness, of all the Volvos to see whilst I'm here (excepting a classic 240, which I haven't seen here yet, although London is a little too posh for those), it was the one when I didn't have my camera out! Hehe, oh well. ;) Maybe I'll see another.

Yesterday, when we were out with the girls, going around London, we ended the day in Harrod's, and leaving, I was waiting on the sidewalk by the building while the others finished, and all these cars were blocked in the road (small, between-building road), and drivers and the Harrod's gentleman at the door were directing traffic (all the cars were very expensive, very important peoples' cars, with drivers), I notice there's a new-looking (like recent year) Rolls Royce sitting right in front of the exit, driver sitting on the left side of the car (like in the States), and right before I'd come outside, several very expensive-looking women, all decked-out in jewelry/scarves, had just gone in. The license plate was in a foreign language, and we wondered if they weren't Egyptian royalty or something. Nicole mentioned that's very possible. Also, two Bentleys were hanging out by the curb too. You know, just chillin'. :D

That's not even the half of it, just the interesting parts, but I need to get off at the moment, so I'll have to post more later.

;)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

danke, for teh beans! :). hi sissy, sounds like your having fun. keep it up.

bill.cathy.onthego said...

Hello miss anne!!!!! sounds like you are having a wonderful time. look forward to hearing about every single bit of it... and the pics.... love mum

Alexis said...

your posts are so fun to read...
thanks for letting me know about your blog. :)

Unknown said...

annie! i just caught up on all your posts. you have to go to the meat-packing district while you're in london. there is the most quaint/modern looking coffee and tea shop right by the tower gift shop. i have no idea how you'll find it, it's in some random little street. but when you see it you'll know what i mean. love ya!

papa-san said...

Anne!! Sounds like you had a great time!! Of course, we havent heard from you since 8/21. ...5 days ago!!!! Hope you are alive!! Anyway, enjoyed reading about the Volvo!! Got a wee spot in me heart for 'em!
Anyway....I am flying you home from Houston to Austin on Monday. PLEASE call me from the airport on Monday when you arrive and I will give you the details. You will have ample time to connect.

Love, Pops