Sunday, August 19, 2007

Day 4 -- Day in Bath (photos)

19 AUGUST | Bath: City Tour, Jane Austen Centre



Well, seeing as how I am fascinated with all things macro, I've decided (in ... post- actual-day -events, writing this now) that I shall have an "On the Train to Bath" post, followed by a more comprehensive account of our day in Bath, followed by yet another post filled with lovely pictures, followed by yet another post will all the 'filler' pictures that everyone is longing to see (from my earlier trip).

So, without further ado! *waves hand in the air*


Bath is situated approximately an hour or so west of London by train. We'd already bought our tickets prior to leaving the U.S. so everything was already booked, etc. It's not hard to buy tickets the day-of (I bought a second return; long story), it's just more expensive. (In some cases, ridiculously more expensive.) So. The plan, as far as I'd decided as of that morning (which was not really a solidified plan, and really rather what I wanted to do more than what I should do), was to stay in Bath for two extra days. Today being Sunday (this will be written in present and past tense so bear with me, *grins*), I was planning on staying through Tuesday afternoon and coming back to London later that afternoon. I'd packed a bag before leaving for Bath, this morning, and had been carrying it with me. So I buy another ticket (they wouldn't change the dates; he said I should've switched it yesterday, and I felt like telling him I hadn't known I was wanting to stay yesterday ... jerk!, but I didn't), and we quickly bought breakfast (coffee and a pastry) for me because I hadn't gotten breakfast from the house (too concerned with not being late), and was quite hungry. Food in hand, we boarded the train, found our seats, and settled in.

Here is breakfast. One very yummy pain de raisin (the bestest when left either in one's bag all day and then eaten, or left in the fridge all day or over-night and then eaten) and one latte. Not the healthiest of breakfasts, but certainly one of the yummiest. And exactly what I was wanting for that morning; on a train, writing my thoughts, passing through the countryside, sipping on coffee, nibbling on a pastry. Suited the mood, I think, very well.


Here's me. Wearing a boat-neck striped sweater, jeans, hat and Birkenstocks. Very French. *smiles*

I hadn't been taking many pictures in general, so I figured now, on an empty train, when no one was there to wonder why, I took pictures of the train. Thus we have Inside-and-Outside-the-Train, ticket stubs, as well as a little scenery. The first picture is a close-up of the ticket stub; I've saved almost all of the day travelcards for the tube and the train tickets all throughout the trip, to make some sort of artistic, framed wall piece out of them. Then my writing journal; very awesome as it's all 'graph' paper. The next two are the inside and outside shots -- the overhead lights, and the outside tracks as we head out of the station. We left from Paddington Station this time. Then the next two photos are leaving the London city area -- industrial buildings and car parks. It was wonderful to get out of the large city and back to smaller-sized cities and small towns.







These next two photos are simply artistic. My favourite being macro, I focused on the proportions of the cup: the 2/3rds brown to the 1/3 blue-and-white. The curves of the slope as the cup enlarges towards the top add an interesting flow to the photo, too. I think the part I like the most of this first photo is the fact that the bottom left portion is blurry -- fuzzed and smudged a bit. Adds interest! :) The other photo is a close-up of my window. Isn't it awesome! You can almost see the individual water droplets!



These next six are of the countryside (!), out my window. Sorry for the 'ghost' images of my hands/the camera. That was with the flash off. It just appeared anyways; the glare on the window from the sun was probably too much to not do that. Anyways, look how gorgeous that landscape is! The first three or four are good representations of English landscapes (not the best, seeing as how it's out a train window and not from a hilltop so as to show off the hedges and dividing of property better); the fifth and sixth are when the sun came out and there was blue sky! (I'm all for rain, don't get me wrong, and the sun does seem to complicate things most times, but that blue of sky was just too pretty not to capture! :D)






































So, those are the pictures I have from the train ride TO Bath. Next comes my thoughts on Bath, what we did, where we went, etc. etc. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.